Alan Watts

Svakog dana, novo otkriće
dr.manijak
rank14
Ima zahvala: 101 put
 pohvaljen: 232 puta

Re: Alan Watts

Post Postao/la dr.manijak »

Svidja mi se kako prica, jedva cekam sutra da uhvatim vremena da odslusam i procitam ovo.
Da li biste radije bili zabrinuti genije ili vesela budala?
Beyond Le Fov
Ima zahvala: 424 puta
 pohvaljen: 1453 puta

Post Postao/la Beyond Le Fov »

[media]link[/media]

...it depends on to whom it is given,under what circumstances it is given and by whom it is given...Here you got a gorgeus piano...and anybody that knows nothing about playing a piano can make sounds that are excellent because a piano is a fine instrument but they are not ordered in any kind of musical koherence...give the same instrument to an expert and he uses it marvelously...and is exactly the same thing with psychedelic chemicals...anybody can have a ball with them...just as anybody can have a ball with looking through a microscope or telescope...but not everyone can use them to produce religious experience or profound esthetic experience...it depends on "what you bring in it is what you get out of it"...so we must regard this things as very strictly instrumental..they do not do for you anything which you yourself in a way do not bring to it...
Just because you live in clown world doesn't mean you have to participate in the circus.
WIZARD
rank4
Ima zahvala: 35 puta
 pohvaljen: 20 puta

Post Postao/la WIZARD »

Sometimes there is a moment as you are awakening when you become aware of the real world around you, but you are still dreaming.When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Red
Ima zahvala: 242 puta
 pohvaljen: 701 put

Post Postao/la Red »

[media]link[/media]
“If you can't understand it without an explanation, you can't understand it with an explanation"
bokzy
rank2
Ima zahvala: 5 puta

Post Postao/la bokzy »

Jedno od meni omiljenih objašnjenja ograničenosti naše umne percepcije nalazi se u Wattsovoj knjizi The Book:

The problem comes up because we ask the question in the wrong way. We supposed that solids were one thing and space quite another, or just nothing whatever. Then it appeared that space was no mere nothing, because solids couldn't do without it. But the mistake in the beginning was to think of solids and space as two different things, instead of as two aspects of the same thing. The point is that they are different but inseparable, like the front end and the rear end of a cat. Cut them apart, and the cat dies. Take away the crest of the wave, and there is no trough.

A similar solution applies to the ancient problem of cause and effect. We believe that every thing and every event must have a cause, that is, some other thing(s) or event(s), and that it will in its turn be the cause of other effects. So how does a cause lead to an effect? To make it much worse, if all that I think or do is a set of effects, there must be causes for all of them going back into an indefinite past. If so, I can't help what I do. I am simply a puppet pulled by strings that go back into times far beyond my vision.

Again, this is a problem which comes from asking the wrong question. Here is someone who has never seen a cat. He is looking through a narrow slit in a fence, and, on the other side, a cat walks by. He sees first the head, then the less distinctly shaped furry trunk, and then the tail. Extraordinary! The cat turns round and walks back, and again he sees the head, and a little later the tail. This sequence begins to look like something regular and reliable. Yet again, the cat turns round, and he witnesses the same regular sequence: first the head, and later the tail. Thereupon he reasons that the event head is the invariable and necessary cause of the event tail, which is the head's effect. This absurd and confusing gobbledygook comes from his failure to see that head and tail go together; they are all one cat.

The cat wasn't born as a head which, sometime later, caused a tail; it was born all of a piece, a head-tailed cat. Our observer's trouble was that he was watching it through a narrow slit, and couldn't see the whole cat at once.

The narrow slit in the fence is much like the way in which we look at life by conscious attention, for when we attend to something we ignore everything else. Attention is narrowed perception. It is a way of looking at life bit by bit, using memory to string the bits together-as when examining a dark room with a flashlight having a very narrow beam. Perception thus narrowed has the advantage of being sharp and bright, but it has to focus on one area of the world after another, and one feature after another. And where there are no features, only space or uniform surfaces, it somehow gets bored and searches about for more features. Attention is therefore something like a scanning mechanism in radar or television, and Norbert Wiener and his colleagues found some evidence that there is a similar process in the brain.
:thumbsup:
Beyond Le Fov

[media]link[/media]
Just because you live in clown world doesn't mean you have to participate in the circus.
Beyond Le Fov

bartul_9
rank3
Ima zahvala: 51 put
 pohvaljen: 36 puta

Post Postao/la bartul_9 »

Kad se sjetim koliko mi je ovaj čovjek promjenio život, to jest spasio me.

Kad sam bio u najtežim trenutcima i padao u crno grotlo, nekako se baš dogodilo da sam "naletio" na njegove videe na YouTubeu i doslovno nisam mogao doći sebi. Sve što sam trebao čuti, sve za šta mi je trebala potvrda sve šta me moglo uzdići je izlazilo iz usta ovog čovjeka.

Evo jedna jako jednostavna web aplikacija sa njegovim izrekama koju sam složio iz zabave.

https://alan-watts-quote-generator.vercel.app/
:sunn: you got nothing to lose
Beyond Le Fov

slika

Buddhism is not saying that the Self, the great atman, or whatnot, it isn't denying that the experience which corresponds to these words is realizable.⁣ What it is saying is that if you make conceptions and doctrines about these things, your liable to become attached to them. You're liable to start believing instead of knowing. ⁣

So they say in Zen Buddhism, 'The doctrine of Buddhism is a finger pointing at the moon. Do not mistake the finger for the moon.' Or so we might say in the West, the idea of God is a finger pointing at God, but what most people do is instead of following the finger, they suck it for comfort. And so buddha chopped off the finger, and undermined all metaphysical beliefs. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
There are many, many dialogues in the Pali scriptures where people try to corner the buddha into a metaphysical position. 'Is the world eternal?' The buddha says nothing. 'Is the world not eternal?' And he answers nuttin'. 'Is the world both eternal and not eternal?' And he don't say nuttin'. 'Is the world neither eternal nor not eternal?' And STILL he don't say nuttin'. He maintains what is called the noble silence. Sometimes called the thunder of silence, because this silence, this metaphysical silence, is not a void. It is very powerful. This silence is the open window through which you can see not concepts, not ideas, not beliefs, but the very goods. But if you say what it is that you see, you erect an image and an idol, and you misdirect people. It's better to destroy people's beliefs than to give them beliefs. I know it hurts, but it is The Way.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
— Alan Watts⁣⁣⁣
Beyond Le Fov

Odgovori